Monday, November 21, 2005

The Train Wreck We Used To Call 92.3 K-Rock

Earlier today I e-mailed back and forth with a fan who asked me if I was going to do a daily synopsis of David Lee Roth's radio show once he takes over for Howard Stern on WXRK in New York City on January 3rd. I've never laughed so hard at an e-mail before. I thought the guy was yanking my chain, turns out he was serious. My prediction for that gentleman was that Roth will be gone from Infinity Broadcasting by the end of 2006 due to low ratings. How can anyone listen to David Lee Roth's ramblings for more than 5 minutes a month nevermind 4 hours a day?

Not only is K-Rock going all talk, but they're bringing in the worst of the worst in talk shows. Granted, I haven't heard Roth's show yet but I have heard Leslie Gold, also known as The Radio Chick, who has been hired to do afternoon drive on WXRK starting next year when they go all talk... or Free FM. Gold's show was awful on WNEW and when it was on SIRIUS, believe me, I tried listening.

It is kind of sad that a once great radio station is going to go down in flames. I'm just glad I won't be listening to hear the horror as it's playing out. I can't imagine what other awful shows they're going to add to the line up over there. I wonder how long it'll be before they switch to a Hispanic music format... one year? Six months?